Monday, April 6, 2015

Brain Mutterings

I was awoken by Molly at 3.47am this morning.. it is becoming a pattern.. This morning was because her palm was itchy. She was not pacified by my saying it's good luck and she will come into a lot of money! A bandaid seemed to do the trick.
BUT it had woken Jasper up, so he ended up snuggled up in my bed.

As I looked at his little blonde head snuggled against me, and listened to his rhythmic breathing, I got to thinking..
Never a good thing to do at 4am!

This disease, this FA thing that has invaded our lives, it's nasty. It's vicious!
I picture all of the FA mums (and moms), and all the FA Adults - all in the same lottery. We all have a ticket, we just don't want our number to get called up.

It ain't any prize we want for our kids.

Life is fragile and fleeting at the best of times, but here I sit with my 11 1/2 year old, on the eve of his annual bone marrow biopsy, well, the fragile and fleeting part is almost too real.

I always tell people that Jasper is healthy, and there is nothing to worry about..
In reality, I worry. Constantly.
It might be a background thought, or it might be a focus for me.. It depends on the day and what is happening medically with him, but the worry and the thoughts are always there.

I could lose him any time. This disease rages inside, looking for a way to express itself. So far, we have been lucky. Decent blood counts, no changes in his marrow. Unfortunately, it seems it is only a matter of time before this changes.
The older he is does not mean the better it will be.

Bone Marrow Biopsy time always sends my head in to a spin. I know it will be ok (there is no alternative for me!), but I am still stuck with this dread in the pit of my gut. It doesn't go away until results come back in a few weeks time.

Just when you get comfortable and the headspace starts to clear, something else comes up to throw you for a loop. Someone passes away, someone is going into transplant, someone new is diagnosed and joins the FAmily.
While we are a special group, you don't want new people to join. You wouldn't wish this on anyone - not even your worst enemy.

Just remember, love those close to you. Love them with all you've got. It could all disappear in the blink of an eye.

Brooke

No comments: