Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ANZAC Day

The 25th April has always been a special day for me.
Ever since I can remember, we have woken up well before dawn and trecked into the capital city we were living in to commemorate the men and women who have given their lives for their country.
Australian and New Zealand forces, and many more.

Jasper has joined my parents and I at the dawn service in Kings Park, Perth, for about 4 years now, and 2012 was to be Molly's first turn.

As it turns out, my parents were away on the other side of the country, and Jasper's scout pack do a local march and commemoration. It was Jasper's choice this year, and he wanted to go with his scout pack.

I woke the kids at 5.30am to get dressed and we headed out.. Here they are, raring to go!
Jasper was wearing my grandfathers medals, and Molly was wearing my nanna's medal.
It was a special moment.. We always wear my grandfathers medals, but I had never seen my nanna's one before. She was named Mary, and everyone called her Mollie (hence our baby girls name!), so it was a tear filled moment to see my baby wearing her name sakes medal.

















Here is some of the march action... it didn't go for long, but was nice to see some of the old ANZAC's get their moment.
 Jasper's pack, marching
 My handsome lad. I was very proud of him there, showing off his great granddad's medals!
 More marching

 After an egg and bacon sandwich at Scout Hall, we were off to the War Memorial near the city. It is so peaceful there, for a memorial of such violence. It is so beautiful, and again, part of our family tradition.

This is my granddad. He passed away when I was 6 months old. From the stories I hear of him, I sure wish I got more time.

 My boy, putting a poppy for rememberence on the plaque
 Molly and Jasper with my granddad's plaque.
Again, it was very emotional. It was hard going there without my folks. I missed them today!

Walking through some of the memorial grave stones.

Molly was holding on tight to her boy.

 A boy and his thoughts


The kids were super well behaved. At the dawn memorial, Jasper was with his scout pack, so we did not see him til it was all done and dusted.
Molly was amazingly good. She seemed to understand it was a time for quiet (it took over an hour, so that is pretty good for a girl who is not yet 2!), and she spent a bit of time squeezing and kissing me when she thought appropriate.. funnily enough, it was when they were playing the last post, and raising the flags. A very special moment.

She is a perceptive little bean.

So well behaved at the memorial, and at the Garden of Rememberence.
In the car on the way home?? Let chaos reign!!
Ok, so, 1 1/2 weeks til our baby girl turns 2, I guess that will be the next post, unless biopsy results come in on Jasper.

Thanks for reading!

Brooke

1 comment:

Teresa said...

That made me cry. So special.